Saturday, January 21, 2012

Week 4 (Fasting)

Normally I would find this an embarassing thing to admit publicly, but because I'm on a personal journey to better myself I know that pride has no place next to sincerity. But I'm not a good faster. I never have been. I've been great at a lot of things and there are times in my life that I'm at my best and this still was one that I struggled with. Unfortunately, I can't even say that I really ever tried.

I guess I should clarify that there are times that I have fasted when something serious was going on and I really needed that extra help. But unfortunately I can count on both hands the number of times I've fasted in my life. Sad I know.

The Latter-Day Saints observe a day to fast one Sunday every month. When I met my husband, this was something he was really good at. He obviously lived it in the mission field and it just stuck with him. I really looked up to him for that. And sadly thought to myself, huh...I never really thought much about that. I guess I just don't pay attention when Fast Sunday is coming and plan ahead. Sunday morning will come and I'll realize it's too late. Honestly, half the time I don't realize it's Fast Sunday until I show up to church. I know you're all probably laughing at me now. But I'm being so brutally honest because it's something I want to change.

And so this last week I took some time to "do my homework". I decided to relearn all I could about fasting and really take it in this time. I know that fasting was given to us to do on a frequent basis because of the spiritual strength it gives us. I desperately need spiritual strength right now and I know that spiritual strength comes from hard work and discipline. It's an opportunity to make sacrifices in order to be ready to receive the blessings our Father has for us and to draw nearer to Him. I also have learned that fasting teaches self control. Which can help strengthen us to resist temptation. There are 49 scripture references to fasting. And there's a reason! Isaiah is a wonderful reference. But I think my favorite (because I love short & sweet) is in 1 Corinthians10:13.

“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it” 

This spoke volumes to me. There are so many things that we can fast for each month, but knowing that the simple act of disciplining ourselves to fast each month can help in strengthening us to overcome temptation has got to be one of the best "armor"s you can put on. I only wish I'd made the effort in the past to show my faith in this gift that was given to us.

I stole this quote from Elder Shayne M. Bowen of the Seventy:

"A person who can discipline himself to fast on a regular basis in the way God has designed can resist every temptation, overcome any burden, and become free from any yoke."

My personal goal is to participate in Fast Sunday each month. The Lord counseled us in Matthew 6 that our fasts are to be in secret. That we should not be advertising our fasting to others. The most important part of fasting is that it should be accompanied by sincere prayer. As a reminder, here are some of the things we can be fasting for each month that I know I personally will work on.
Fasting/Praying for Forgiveness
Fasting/Praying for the Power to Overcome Our Faults & Weaknesses
Fasting/Praying to Forgive Others
Fasting/Praying for the Sick & The Poor
Fasting/Praying for Spiritual Strength
Fasting/Praying for Guidance
Fasting/Praying for Help in Sharing The Gospel With Others
Fasting/Praying For Strength To Avoid Temptation
Fasting/Praying In Thanks

I know that we can ALL receive wonderful blessings when we fast properly. I know that it was a tool given to us by our Father through the example of Jesus Christ to not only become closer to Him but to better our lives, bless the lives of those around us, and spiritually strengthen us to become who we need to be and be guided by the Spirit in helping others as Christ did.

No comments:

Post a Comment