I came across an Audiobook and it's title was EXACTLY what the question in my mind had been for some time now.
"If I'm Forgiven, Why Does My Past Still Bother Me?"
by Brad Wilcox
I know this is an alarming title. But you'd be surprised how it's contents can apply not only to the smallest of transgressions, but can also prepare you for future ones...or more importantly...prevent you from making them.
I have kept this cd in my disc changer for a few weeks now because it's one of those talks that has messages you can receive over and over and it only roots itself deeper into your heart and mind.
Here are some of my favorite things I took from the talk:
He demonstrates that our memories of forgiven sins, like dark lines in polished marble, can actually make us valuable and beautiful. I am always comparing myself to marble now. Knowing that the dark lines(or times/sins) in my own life are what have refined me and that they are there to remind me of what I've been through, what I've learned and what I've become because of them. And even more so, how I can help others because of what I've been through and how I chose to turn to the Lord to overcome them.
He makes the point that even though it is better not to sin at all, sometimes we do not realize how much we need Christ until we are totally and completely dependant on Him. Similiar to the way we don't appreciate the importance of breathing until we are under water and desperately depending on it. Repentance can offer us an opportunity to come closer to Him and seek Him in our lives stronger than we ever have.
Last, while God doesn't condone sin, He knows that broken covenants can lead to broken hearts, which can lead us to Christ, the mender of all broken things.
This 60 minute Audiobook truly gave me the peace of mind that I needed to turn my "haunting" and discouraging memories into a positive reflection on chizzles that have molded me into the beauty that God sees in us all after we come to Him with pure and willing hearts. He is so ready to help us move on. But He doesn't allow us to erase our memories for a reason. And I now understand those reasons and I'm grateful to be able to find peace with that. I truly have a testimony that we can gain a closer relationship with Him at any time...even, and more so when we are facing adversity. What a great blessing it's been in my life to know that it's during the HARDEST times that I get the opportunity to grow closer to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment