Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week 12 - The Mightiest Calling

This last week I've felt an overwhelming prompting to put my focus into something very specific. I try to fill my cup with a variety of uplifting things. Whether it be drowning myself in the scriptures, conference talks, uplifting books, trying new ideas to make our marriage stronger and bring us closer, or simply taking a time out to listen to uplifting music composed by people with deeper dedication than I...whatever it may be, I am always seeking good in my life to help me grow spiritually, better myself for others and find peace in the areas of my life that I need it. All of these things are good, but this last week I've been praying for an answer to some very specific things I needed help with, getting my mind off of some things. And I was blessed to receive an answer.

My children

I always feel overwhelmed with the list of tasks I need to accomplish.  Parenthood can be so overwhelming...especially for us moms that feel like we have to be superwoman. The calling of parenthood is the greatest calling in this life. We are always taught to take our callings seriously and not just do them but magnify them. To give them our all and then find a way to go above and beyond. I want to work on that with my calling as a mother. It's a constant reminder in my head that they are only going to be small and "mine" for a short time. And I have no choice but to treasure that time and make the most of it.

"I especially wish to praise and encourage young mothers. The work of a mother is hard, too often unheralded work... Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely YOURS and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones."
~Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
We really do have such an amazing and precious job as mothers...as parents in general. And I know that if put even a little more of my time and effort each day toward them, and then more the next day, that I will find peace and healing in those things instantly. The blessings will come instantly. The burdens will feel lifted instantly.

There's no better example to follow than the Savior's when it comes to learning how to love and cherish children. They mattered to Him. They were worth every bit as much of His time as adults. The love the Savior showed toward children has always uplifted me and inspired me to be a better mother. This is one of my favorite pictures of Christ with children. And it just happens to be that we have 1 boy and 3 girls in our family. A touching picture that reminds me as well as my children how loved they are and how much love & attention they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment