"Everything in the gospel teaches us that we can change if we need to, that we can be helped if we truly want it, that we can be made whole, whatever the problems of the past."
I know I've shared this quote before by Elder Holland. But it's powerful to me.
A perfect example is the story of the City of Enoch in the Book of Mormon. The people were wicked...I believe the word that was used was "abominable". And yet through sincere faith and repentance, they were so changed that they were translated. They were taken from this Earth because of their righteousness. How profound is that example? Knowing that not just one...but an entire city of people could be turned so far from wickedness. And they weren't given any special gifts or knowledge that each one of us doesn't have today.
It's because the Atonement is so real. It's because God's promises to us are real. Deciding that there is NOTHING you won't do for Him will open your heart to make sacrifices that DO change you. Coming unto Christ and following His example (or doing our best!) can and will change you. It's not an idea. It's not a good suggestion. It can redeem you. And ya know what else it can do?...
It can allow you to have a night like I did tonight when I realized I was avoiding going to bed and wanting to pull an all nighter because I didn't want to put my church books and scriptures down.
I've had many nights I couldn't go to bed because I couldn't turn the tv off or because I couldn't log off the internet because I was immersed in Etsy.com or looking at photos or ideas for parties or crafts, etc.
But not wanting to go to bed because I yearn to feed my soul with the gospel and uplifting messages left me with a profound message tonight...The more you try to fill your life with goodness, the more "good" YOU become, and then you seek after those things.
I'm far from perfect. I will never stop saying that I am a work in progress. But I am grateful that I am this person tonight. I'm grateful there is ALWAYS opportunity to become better, to fill your life with better things and change who you are for the better. I am grateful that all we have to do is in the simplicity of this scripture:
"Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea"
~Isaiah 48:17-18
No comments:
Post a Comment