I haven't posted on this blog in a while. Not because I haven't been growing, experiencing and learning...but because the things I've wanted to journal have ended up in my personal journal at home instead. There are just some things too personal and sacred to share. But that shouldn't mean refraining from sharing my testimony and experiences that may lift and encourage another. I've had such wonderful and supportive followers that have lifted me up by finding inspiration and hope from my journey. And that keeps me going! So I'll do my best to get caught up.
I'm still hiking up that mountain. At times, I've decided that even though we can reach the top of our personal mountains and embrace the happiness, relief and blessings of our trials by seeing what's waiting for us on the other side, in life sometimes there is no top until the end. I've learned that ultimately we will never be finished climbing that mountain. It's the plan. Instead of thinking it's one mountain after another, we can also view it as one giant hike to bettering ourselves, strengthening our faith and continuing to grow closer to the Lord. Becoming the people our Father wants us to become. Allowing every obstacle, hitch, setback or brutal stone to mold us into the best version of ourselves. A person we couldn't become without those steps. Our journey should never end even if certain trials do.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Heavenly Father has blessed our family in ways I never expected through the gift and peace of the Atonement. We can overcome our trials, even those that are self inflicted, EVEN transgressions and grow in ways that we end up GRATEFUL for. I never thought I'd be grateful for what I've been through until now. Making mistakes along our path is never something I would condone or wish on anyone. But I have experienced the beauty of it. Broken hearts lead you to the Savior. And living this last year and then some in the heart of that reality has made me happier than I've ever been. Stronger than I've ever been. My foundation is unshakeable and the reality of the Atonement and Heavenly Father's love for us is undeniable in my life. My path has never been more clear. My purpose has never been more clear. And the reason I had to go through what I went through has never been more clear.
Every rock that has come our way in the last year has only strengthened us. Because we've allowed it to. There comes a point in your life where you have to decide if you're going to stay where you're at, or if you're going to make a change. I was lost and afraid for a long time when I made my change. Making that change is hard if you lack faith that everything will work out. When I did, I learned quickly that everything would be ok because Heavenly Father is on our side. And He will let go of our past as long as we're doing the right thing and committed to going wherever He wants us to go. The amount of faith it requires ends up sticking with you forever. And arming you with faith to get through things that will come in the future.
Has it been easy? No way. Have we lost things or people we loved? Yes. Have I been discouraged and at times felt alone and that things were unfair? Of course. But I've learned that sometimes when you're doing the right thing, things in your life that you don't need or that aren't good for you will disappear naturally. It takes a long time to realize it's for your own good. Friends for example. I've learned that I have friends that are so like the Savior. Friends that know who I am and where I want to be and support what I'm working toward. Friends that are forgiving and understanding. Friends that continue to see me as I am and not as the mistakes that all of us make. Friends that look up to me and praise me for the steps I've taken and the examples I've set. Friends that have found hope from my journey and applied it in their own lives. Friends that lift me up, especially when I feel I least deserve it.
Isn't that the example the Savior has left us with? I think so. And because of those friends I've learned an amazing thing. I've learned that they are the people that belong in my life. They are the people worth holding on to. They are the people I want to be for others. They are the examples I want to follow. Sadly, some people disappear and you learn the hard way that they aren't right for you. It's not easy for me to let go of people but I can only have faith that when you're living the way God has asked, that everything else will fall into place and that He has a bigger plan for us than we have for ourselves. When we're doing everything right, giving our all and doing so with complete sincerity... only good things come of that. And we need to learn to recognize them, even if sometimes it hurts. I have come to find peace through this recently and it wasn't easy.
Right now I'm incredibly grateful for the people in my life that have mirrored the Savior's example. It can be a scary and lonely journey even with the Savior on your side. But to have people here to love and support you when you need it the most to keep going strong on days when you want to give up, on days when you have lost sight of your own worth, on days when you feel unworthy and too weak to stand...it makes all the difference in the world.
I recently sent this picture to one of my best friends because she immediately entered my mind when I saw it.
And this is a quote that truly touched me and lifted me up a year and a half ago and it will for the rest of my life. When I heard it, I imagined myself in the shoes of Alma...someone I look up to so much.
"If you are lonely, please know you can find comfort.
If you are discouraged, please know you can find hope.
If you are poor in spirit, please know you can be strengthened.
If you feel you are broken, please know you can be mended."
~Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Every event in our lives is a lesson to be learned. And I have taken that opportunity and have learned what kind of friend I want to be. I want to be the friend that I have found in others recently. I've been that friend in the past, but until you've been in the right shoes, you can't comprehend it's power and importance. I know our Savior wants us to be the friend that is there not just when the sun is shining but also when it's storming. That is the lesson I have learned and the person I want to be. I'm so thankful for those examples in my life.
Isn't that the example the Savior has left us with? I think so. And because of those friends I've learned an amazing thing. I've learned that they are the people that belong in my life. They are the people worth holding on to. They are the people I want to be for others. They are the examples I want to follow. Sadly, some people disappear and you learn the hard way that they aren't right for you. It's not easy for me to let go of people but I can only have faith that when you're living the way God has asked, that everything else will fall into place and that He has a bigger plan for us than we have for ourselves. When we're doing everything right, giving our all and doing so with complete sincerity... only good things come of that. And we need to learn to recognize them, even if sometimes it hurts. I have come to find peace through this recently and it wasn't easy.
Right now I'm incredibly grateful for the people in my life that have mirrored the Savior's example. It can be a scary and lonely journey even with the Savior on your side. But to have people here to love and support you when you need it the most to keep going strong on days when you want to give up, on days when you have lost sight of your own worth, on days when you feel unworthy and too weak to stand...it makes all the difference in the world.
I recently sent this picture to one of my best friends because she immediately entered my mind when I saw it.
And this is a quote that truly touched me and lifted me up a year and a half ago and it will for the rest of my life. When I heard it, I imagined myself in the shoes of Alma...someone I look up to so much.
"If you are lonely, please know you can find comfort.
If you are discouraged, please know you can find hope.
If you are poor in spirit, please know you can be strengthened.
If you feel you are broken, please know you can be mended."
~Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Every event in our lives is a lesson to be learned. And I have taken that opportunity and have learned what kind of friend I want to be. I want to be the friend that I have found in others recently. I've been that friend in the past, but until you've been in the right shoes, you can't comprehend it's power and importance. I know our Savior wants us to be the friend that is there not just when the sun is shining but also when it's storming. That is the lesson I have learned and the person I want to be. I'm so thankful for those examples in my life.


No comments:
Post a Comment