Monday, October 1, 2012

Being Willing

I just realized I'm going to blog about a blog. And it's not the first time I've done it but for some reason it's the first time I've found the humor in that! Kind of like my obsessive need to make a list that includes making lists. I can't stop myself so I just learn to be proud of it.
On to the blog...
 
Hilary Weeks has been a long-time inspiration of mine. I've shared some of her songs on my blog before that have truly inspired me in a way that I felt needed to be spread to others. But I also enjoy following her personal blog because she is one "blogger" that finds a  way to make every post be uplifting, inspiring and eye opening. Her most recent post really did just that so instead of copying it, I'll just post the link here.
 
It's a quick post worth reading. She's much more blessed in the eloquence department than I am! But her post was about being "reachable" & "willing". I find myself in need of this improvement. I feel as though I'm constantly praying...daily...to be guided to those in need. I frequently ask for help in knowing who is in need of my service. Sometimes I assume that it's something grand I'm awaiting. Like news of something horrible someone has gone through. A loss, a tragedy, an illness, a financial difficulty, etc.
 
But I am guilty of brushing off promptings to just visit someone. To just call someone. To ask someone if they want to go out somewhere. Promptings to even make treats or take someone dinner. It's not that I don't want to. I think it's just that sometimes I think I'm just thinking TOO much. And maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe it's not me just trying too hard...maybe they are promptings from our Heavenly Father.
 
In the aftermath of some things I've been going through the last few years. The one thing I have made a commitment to do is serve others. Christ not only asked us to serve...but He set that example by doing so Himself. I know that serving others has the ability to heal our broken hearts. To strengthen our testimonies of service. It helps take the focus away from the troubles in our own lives and put our hearts in the right place. I know that our Father in Heaven put us on this earth with each other not to live side by side but to SERVE one another and to allow us to lean on one another. I always feel this blessing so strongly when I'm in our Relief Society class. I truly believe that it was established so that no one will become a "lost sheep". If everyone is looking out for someone else and makes that a priority, then no one would be left out.
I really hope that I can mirror Hilary's example to be more willing to listen to the promptings and to serve others at EVERY chance I get...not just the obvious ones. I also know that if we keep service in our hearts that we will be guided to those in need.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment